Monday, December 7, 2015

Das weiße Band - The White Ribbon

It’s not very frequently that a film elicits such strong reactions from me, so I must write this as the colors of the film are still fresh in my memory.  Yes, it’s a black-and-white film, but I mean ‘colors’ metaphorically here.

Michael Haneke and his humorless face
Metaphors incidentally play a central, almost sacred role in the 2009 Palm d’Or-winning German film, The White Ribbon, starting with the very title of the film. But before I cough up my interpretation of the abundant symbolism in the film, there’s something about director Michael Haneke’s style of filmmaking that needs saying.  He has a simple, unpretentious approach to storytelling that I can only wish others would emulate.  Most directors force their own worldview upon the film, turning the film more into an Op-Ed piece than a work of art; even the best of them are guilty as charged, sometimes. However, Haneke, a well-aged filmmaker, disposes of any claims to cocksure pronouncements on human nature when he says:  Cinema can only offer questions, not answers.

In that one, eloquent statement he has summarized his philosophy that he ruthlessly reinforces in every film he makes, sometimes to the annoyance of the viewer.  My first experience with Haneke was with 2005 French film, Cachea movie so radical in its narrative technique that I was by turns bemused and amazed.  I saw it some four years ago, only once, but the plot of the film is still vividly burned into my memory:  A couple living in France starts to receive on their doorstep strange videotaped recordings of their own house at first, followed by more footage of directions to an apartment somewhere.  You wait for the suspense to unfold, craving to find out the perpetrator and their motivation.  The lesser half of the couple, pulled by the irresistible gravity of his own curiosity, follows the directions to the apartment, wherein awaits the darkest secret of life, and his past life he has conveniently swept under the rug is brought bleeding back to life and put under the microscope for him to look at – LOOK at what you’ve done!  It is never revealed who made the videotapes nor how/why – which is kind of the point, really; such details are the sole driving forces of conventionally made whodunit films, but not here.  It’s not important who did it; how those videotapes were made is a mere abstraction, a glitch in the logic of reality, a piddling detail that doesn’t undo the main theme of the film, which is a dispassionate examination of guilt and selfishness, but only an examination that asks questions without providing judgmental answers as to what is right, what is not.

This type of whodunit template is also the basis for The White Ribbon.  It reportedly took Haneke 10 years to make this film, which had failed to secure funding when originally conceived as a television mini-series, so you can be damn sure that he has put in a lot of thought into sculpting the characters and their wretched secrets.  The film is set during the years leading up to World War I in a small German village with a population that inherited their lands and professions from their ancestors settled here centuries ago.  But the story doesn’t really have so much to do with World War I as it has to do with the sequel, World War II.  The reason Haneke chose to set the film in 1910s is so that he could focus on the children who grew up to become adults by the time the Second World War broke loose.  Many a film have been made focusing on the Second World War and the consequences of it, but hardly any that go into the root causes of it:  A type of authoritarian indoctrination that produced the dictatorial regimes which brought the whole world at war by midcentury.

The film opens with an accident:  Someone has maliciously tied a thin, rigid string between two trees on either side of a road that the village doctor rides his horse on.  The imaginable consequence ensues, with no perpetrator caught.  Another strange incident happens, and another a few months later where the son of the village baron goes missing and is found in the middle of the forest in the middle of the night, bleeding from his waist down. More strange events occur with worrying frequency.

Between each episode of horror, the diabolical lives of the inhabitants are unwrapped frame by frame, and the tone of the film gets darker and darker, meaner and meaner.  Small-town/countryside films are usually a delight to watch – the sense of community that exists among a people who all know each other on a first-name basis, the slowness of their lives, the merry celebrations after harvest, a place for everyone and everyone in their place.  Not here.  Haneke shows us just how tourist-like such wishful thinking really is. But the point isn’t so much about country people as it is about the “roots of evil” in general. What causes men to lash out when given the official license to lash out?

The metaphor of the white ribbon mentioned earlier is hard to miss in its connection to the Hebrew Star of David arm bands that the Nazis made the Jews wear during the Third Reich.  The metaphor itself is explicitly reinforced throughout the film through the village pastor who insists on severely punishing his children in the name of discipline while concurrently making them wear a white ribbon on their arms to remind themselves of the “purity and innocence” they were born with at birth. (You can connect this metaphor to the fact that much of the film is shot in pitch-black color with very little white or grey.) The pastor is a profoundly unsympathetic character who radiates such an air of starchy solemnity that his children literally shiver and silently weep in his presence.  Punishment is his only instrument of control and restraint.  It should hardly be surprising, then, that when these kids grow up to inherit the seats of power later in life, they lash out against the next generation with the same kind of severity that was meted out to them.  It is even suggested by a character later in the film that it could perhaps be the children who have committed all of the unsolved crimes, but only a suggestion.

The Nazi arm bands on the left; the boy wearing the white ribbon on the right
It’s true that The White Ribbon is a very anti-religious film, but it is not against faith itself or even against all aspects of religion or true religion, as Haneke puts it. It is against the idea of “absolute values” and how absolute values poison the mind by instilling a devouring confidence in one’s ability to know right from wrong.  Such absolute values are the foundation of every religion.  There’s no religion that says “maybe God knows right from wrong.” No, God is always the all-knowing, omnipotent authority, and doubt has no place in His kingdom.  His authority is derived from His unequivocal values and categorical distinctions.  Religions are the vectors of authoritarianism that transfer it from God to men.  In fact, Haneke wanted to name the film God’s Right Hand, as he explained in an interview:

I wanted to present a group of children on whom absolute values are being imposed. What I was trying to say was that if someone adopts an absolute principle, when it becomes absolute then it becomes inhuman… It’s one of the sources of radical thinking. Once I thought about another title for the film, which was GOD’S RIGHT HAND, which means that these children take themselves for God’s right hand because they know the difference between good and evil and they have the right to judge others. This is always the beginning of terrorism… I wanted to depict the children who in their adult life would play a role in the fascist period, and these people were determined by Protestantism. If made in Italy, of course it would be a different influence… But I don’t want people to just see the film as a film about a German problem. It is about the roots of evil. Whether it’s religious or political terrorism, it’s the same thing. That’s what it’s about because in France, people say it’s a German problem. But it’s a problem for everyone. You do not have to look very far to see a comparison to things going on today. Islam is the same: obsessed with a certain idea, a certain vision of religion, which has nothing to do with real religion.

The technical supremacy with which this film has been made is another matter of praise and approval.  Haneke’s signature directorial style has kind of simplicity to it that is almost deceptively unsophisticated on its surface but with many layers of subtlety that would easily escape the viewer if you are not completely submerged in the film’s aesthetics.  The entire film feels like one fractureless continuum, without so much as a smudge at the wrong place on the wall.  The black-and-white cinematography, which was nominated for Oscar, is what gives the film much of its thick exoskeleton, all neatly tied together with flawless editing that completely dispels the notion that the film is in fact a period piece. 

The White Ribbon goes into my book as one of the finest works of 21st cinematic art, and I look forward to seeing the influence this has on future filmmakers.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, Europe is a miserable place - this is why the movies out of that continent are the way they are. Europeans are pale, soulless people dwelling in this existentialism to the point of mental excruciation. But, then again; humanity is a failed mutation, and thanks to European enlightenment we have been able to come to this realization about ourselves. So, I suppose, in a way, our enlightenment has become our predicament, because we can't seem to unlearn the horrid truth. However, I suppose the upside is that instead of us being ignorant fools, we have become enlightened fools. But I don't know...

    I will admit I have only watched one Michael Haneke movie, and that was 'The Piano Teacher'. That movie drove me nuts. Humanity, man... There is no hope.

    Indians are a lot brighter than Europeans, though: A buddy of mine went to Kashmir last year where he hooked up with a dude posing as a tour guide. The tour guide dude invited my buddy to his house, treated him to dinner - only the salad was spiked with psychedelic plants, and my buddy had a psychosis after eating a lot of it. The tour guide dude took all my buddy's stuff (money, phone, bag), and left my buddy alone in the streets suffering a massive psychosis. Long story short, my buddy managed to get back to Sweden. And today my buddy received a postcard from the tour guide dude who robbed him, where he's hoping my buddy is well in life and that everything is going good for him. This is how kind and considerate the Indian people are! No European would send a postcard to a guy after they've drugged and robbed him out of his stuff. But the Indian guy is just bright and kind enough to show that he cared. It's a different kind of social culture.

    But, I am mostly just being sarcastic. Of course I don't truly believe in my own generalization - it's obviously totally ridiculous. I mean... It's become this post-postmodern thing with me, these days, where the sarcasm and seriousness have all blended together - all because I have been dwelling in this nightmare of an illusion produced by my carbon-based neurons in the brain and constantly conditioning my being.

    But at least I am free to get drunk over here without having to worry about getting whipped for it. So, I suppose I'll get drunk and watch this movie, too.

    Good review!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alexander! How're you? I had sent you an email, but it was returned back to me as failed to reach the recepient. Have you deleted your email account?

    I am sorry to hear about your friend's experience in India. Unfortunately, such shady characters abound the length and breadth of this country, always scheming to rob a white-skinned tourist. If you ever visit India, make sure you do your due research on tour guides and places to visit prior to leaving your country, and don't trust every other person like a hippie. There are people far worse than the one your friend was a victim of!

    I had read this story of a guy in Sweden. A professor's laptop was stolen, and a few days later the thief actually sent the hard drive back to the professor via mail because it had a lot of his work on it (documents, data relating to academia, etc.). The professor was so elated to receive it because he had not made a backup of the data, and he contacted the press to thank the thief. You can read about it here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/8071220/Thief-returns-stolen-laptop-contents-on-USB-stick.html

    I guess the larger point here is that good people and wicked people, and people with mixture of good and wicked, are everywhere -- India, Europe, US. Regional differences were the last thing on my mind when I was drafting this post. Haneke attacks the naked soul of man in this film, regardless of their ethnicity. That's what impresses me the most about his style -- he is not caught up in superficial cultural differences and goes to the root of humanity.

    Nice to hear from you after a long time.

    Akash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Akash,

    How are you?

    I am not sure whether you still monitor this blog or not, but I'll write you as if I knew you still do. I'll also be making quite a few grammatical errors here, as my english is still on the level of a 16-year old, same as it always was.

    But I have been thinking about you, though - wondering what you've been up to.

    Hey, did you ever watch 'Twin Peaks: The Return'? Oh, man, I loved it! It's like the best of everything David Lynch has ever done! That infamous 8th episode - the indescribably frightening visual of the journey into the atom bomb, closer and closer until we're taken into the molecule levels of it with Penderecki's heart-wrenching music tearing at the ears. The overwhelming intensity of the visuals of the bombardment - the big bang of negative energy. Oh, man! It went straight into my psyche. A lot of magnified moments in the series of this overwhelming horror.

    Yeah, what can I say about what's up with myself. My life is the same, really. I'm just wandering about - working as a substitute here and there at jobs that don't require any higher education. I guess socially it's a stagnated existence. I've learned that I am even more of a psychotic than I thought I was. My friend tells me I'm living in some sort of Surrealist construction I've created for myself - this contradictory existence of heightened cognitive dissonance. And that I am also living in a past and not advancing towards the future. Well, to put it shortly, I do suffer from a few personality disorders - I am sort of living a David Lynch movie, phenomenologically speaking, lol.

    Have you seen 'The Pervert's Guide to Cinema'? That film where Slavoj Zizek psychoanalyzes some of the great films of the 20th century. He talks about Hitchcock, Tarkovsky and Lynch movies. I must admit I like a lot of his theories and interpretations regarding fantasy and reality - especially the ideas regarding male projection upon women, like this analysis he does of Vertigo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjjMMtkJsSk

    I've been told I project upon women to the extreme - foolishly filling the void with romantic notions, unable to perceive reality as it is having been busy trying to transform it. I guess, been pretty out of touch - then when hit with actual reality experiencing it as overwhelmingly cruel, while really reality it's just been itself all around me without me seeing it.

    I wish I was more rational and scientifically-minded. I always sucked at math and all the related majors.

    Oh, yeah, speaking of progress... I recently watched 'Interstellar'. I mean, damn I am totally behind, right... But, I watched it because a girl I had a huge crush on really liked it, so I wanted to see it to be able to talk to her about it. She finds the movie to be this progressive, exciting adventure. The Final Frontier of space sort of epitomizes forward-thinking, I guess. But, still, though, the movie really doesn't do a good job in its philosophical debates - this thing about 'Love transcending time and space', but in the end being 'quantifiable' for some reason. This cartoonish depiction of Humans evolving into these God-like space creatures, building that library. It's sort of silly. But, the movie as a space-adventure is pretty awesome, I must admit - the great cinematic experience is what seems to matter to people, and I don't object as the movie delivers on that.

    But, the movie made me think about my own evolution. I feel none of it. My brain feels so limited - my heart always yearns for poetic truths, rather than scientific ones. Like that Tarkovsky movie 'Solaris'. This scene when Snaut hold the monologue 'Man needs Man': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YARi25_5Egw It touched me profoundly.

    Aaah, I gotta run now.

    Hey, reply if you're able to.

    If you're not around here anymore, I do send you all the best wishes.

    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alex!

      Great to hear from you, man! How ARE you? It's been so long I last heard from you, I was thinking you've probably forgotten me completely, haha! :)

      Actually, I haven't even visited this blog in years! I do get email notifications to my Gmail inbox whenever someone posts a comment on this blog though (which is never, trust me!). I was delighted to see your comment notification in my inbox today.

      Whoa, you've been keeping busy, I see. I haven't yet seen Twin Peaks season 3, but I do intend to watch it soon. Don't leave any spoilers for me :P

      I'm actually a huge fan of Zizek! I can't understand anything he says. He calls himself psychotic the same way you do, but that man's a genius, so don't sell yourself short :) You must absolutely watch Zizek's philosophical take on why love is evil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7qdowoemo

      I've seen that video hundreds of times. I don't know what he is saying, but I love it nonetheless!

      I wish I could give you an even longer reply. There's much wonderful stuff about cinema in your comment. (And I can't believe you watched Interstellar so late!) But I am a bit short on time right now.

      Do you mind pinging me on Whatsapp? My phone number is +91-988-666-5641

      I'd love to discuss cinema with you in real time over chat. I still keep in touch with John from Cannibal Corpse forum via Whatsapp (his username was ISYWM). We talk most Donald Trump, but it's always fun engaging with him.

      I hope you give it some thought. If you don't have Whatsapp or don't like using it, no issues. Just send me an email, we'll talk via the classic method :)

      See you soon!

      Delete
    2. Sent you an email. Let me know if you've received it.

      Delete